Monday, January 30, 2012

Will flowers slow the growth of weeds?

I dug up a huge part of my yard to plant gardens. I plant things as I can but the weeds are uncontrollable. I am pulling them all of the time. Should I use weed killer? If I do when could I plant new plants? I already put down a thick layer of newspaper and mulch. I was hoping that flowers would take over so I didn't have as many weeds to pull.

Will flowers slow the growth of weeds?
No, just the opposite - weeds will slow the growth of flowers.



If you want to get rid of the weeds, you have to be patient for a couple of weeks before planting anything else.



First, you have to water the weeds and get them to grow before you plant any desireable plant. Spray them with a weed killer, which takes a good 24 hours to set to ensure it's effective (some say they start killing within 30 minutes, but give it a day).



They start watering your dead weeds. This will germinate any remaining weed seeds or revitalize any semi-dead weeds that weren't killed the first time. Give them a week or two to come back. Then, spray your weeds with weed killer again.



When the weeds are all dead (a coupla-few days), remove them (roots and all, if you can). Now you can put whatever plants you want without the weeds taking over. You may still get some popping up every now and again. But, they will be very manageable now.
Reply:no it wont

rain roots

No comments:

Post a Comment